Jan 21, 2009

Jan 21st - Chromotherapy?

Ok so I've had a long term problem with my ankle which is like a mild rash that occurs when my ankle is exposed to anything, technical name being psoriasis. I have been battling it for about a year and a half now with antibiotics, creams and all other kinds of shit. It's made me really self concious and so it is very rare to see me not wearing jeans.

But I recently heard of a thing called chromotherapy - Light colour therapy. You get a special light and put coloured gels on the light and each gel has a different effect. I don't class this with oogie boogie science because think about it - your body relies on vitamins from the sun so surely an altered light source from one spectrum would have a healing effect, right?

My Mum had a crook knee a while back and she spent 18 months trying to fix it with physio and whatnot. Apparently Dad (Who did the lighting for Shortland Street) put a green lighting gel on their bedside lamp and shone it on Mum's knee for about an hour or so for three days in a row. It was only a week later that Mum realised she hadn't had any pain from her knee since that therapy. So it kinda works. Cashin the elephant has a similar story.

So with this in mind, I spent a day in my light-proofed room with a light shining on my ankle. It is impossible to say whether it had effect or not but I suspect it didn't because I was using a really lame sheet of cellophane instead of a gel which converts the light 100%

I will keep you posted on such things related to this.

1 comment: